Sunday 28 September 2014

Lashes, Like them or loathe them?

Yes I am back, with no other excuse than the fact that sometimes...life gets in the way.

And I have a beauty related confession to make...

For the majority of the year I've been addicted to Eyelash Extensions. It must have started around new year, with all the party celebrations under way, I fancied trying something a bit different. For someone whose never even used fake eyelashes, extensions were quite a big leap!

Pout anyone? No? Okay.

The Process

So, after various patch tests to make sure you're not allergic to the glue etc, the therapist removes all make up from your eyes and the surrounding area and places a sticky gel pad under each eye (if you're not an eye person do not even consider anything like this!). This seemed to be the worst bit for me, because the pads are stuck so close to your eyelids (to avoid sticking your bottom lashes to your top extensions) that the liquid kept seeping into my eyes and making them sting! However, I wear contact lenses so 20/20 vision chicks...you'll be fine! The Therapist then applies the lashes with glue and this can take up to an hour and a half.

The Price

Really can vary and depends what type you go for. Cluster lashes where a clump of eyelashes are placed on a couple of your natural eyelashes are around £35, whereas indivuals are anywhere between £50-£80.


As you can see you can go for the super dramatic look...
Or slightly more natural!
Pros
  • I really did fall in love, they completely open up your eyes and I found myself wearing a lot less make up and looking considerably less tired. They really were a confidence booster!
  • You save a massive amount of time getting ready in the mornings, It was literally a case of foundation, lip gloss...done!
  • I found myself getting a lot of compliments, people really do notice!


Cons
  • Oh dear, unfortunately there are rather a lot. For a start, it is an addiction I didn't have breaks in between as recommended and therefore my real eyelashes suffered, 
  • I had and still have massive gaps from where they have been removed and not grown back so quickly.
  • They become very heavy, and although I saved time in the mornings on the make up front, prizing my eyes open everyday and trying to get contact lenses in was an absolute nightmare!
  • You can't put mascara on them or curl them so they can get very untidy very quickly.
  • They cling on for dear life to that glue, but if you try to take a couple out your own natural eyelashes are also coming with them!
  • I'm having a course of facials for my absolutely awful skin and these really got in the way, in fact some places refuse to perform facials if you have eyelash extensions
  • People get used to you with long sweeping lashes... massive difference when they come off!
  • They cost rather a lot every month!

After months and months and the therapist firmly suggesting that I take a break from them, I've decided to give it a rest. In fact I'm not sure I'll get them done anytime soon. They do an awful lot of damage for a quick fix and a vain reason. So now I'm shopping around for  lash growing serums and lengthening mascaras!

Any Suggestions? Let me know in the comments!

Zee x

No comments:

Post a Comment