Friday 1 January 2016

A Year On My Own...AKA The Man Gap Year




I’ve been writing this post in my head for a while now, and being the 2nd January it seems fitting to post it now.

I’ve been single for just over a year now which is exactly what I planned. As I walked away from a break up with my last boyfriend I felt nothing but disappointment…not from the relationship itself although a horrible one, but in myself. I knew in my heart that this was not where I wanted to be: everything that made me think this wasn’t right was also the reason I stayed, because I was terrified of being alone.

Let’s back track a bit, I’m one of those people who is always in relationships, from the age of 15 (maybe even earlier?!) I have had a boyfriend. Bullying, school and being a slight perfectionist has led me to a personality of low self-confidence, insecurity and being labelled as ‘shy’. This then points me to the fact that if a man gave me even the slightest indication that he might find me remotely attractive, I’d be all over it like a rash, in a bubble that someone, anyone would find me attractive. Quite frankly, it’s pathetic. So this has led me to a bunch of turbulent relationships in which I was relying on the other person to compensate the confidence that I lacked so very much.

And so as 2015 rolled in I made the decision to learn how to be on my own for a year, to work on my confidence, career and to travel but also to work on what defined me as a person  instead of being so desperate to find someone else to be defined as a couple. I called this my ‘Man Gap Year’ mainly to put a bit of a positive spin on it. While my family, friends and colleagues laughed at the title I gave it they could see that I had a point and were very supportive. Of course, I’m not saying that men were flocking at my feet (if only!) but more that I (perhaps selfishly) refocused and took some time to concentrate on me. I worked on my career, I made plans for the future for myself and as this was also my 21st year it all seemed to fit into place perfectly.

I’m not sure what the future holds, but I know that (cheesy as it sounds) I’ve started to find who I am this year and while I still have a lot of growing to do I know that I’m on the way there. If you are reading this and are tired of the same relationship or you’re in your early teens, don’t worry about it. Take a step back and evaluate what you want for you and create goals for what you want rather than waiting for something to happen.

Happy New Year!


Zoe x

No comments:

Post a Comment